TRACK

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Grandfather Redux (UPDATED)


Another shot of my paternal grandfather, Peter H. Podelco, with his wife, Mary Ostrowski, and what I am assuming is their first born, my late uncle Fred Podelco, the oldest of my father's brothers and sisters. I didn't really know either of my grandfathers. Peter died when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My mother's father died before I was born.

Just like the photograph of Peter and a friend that I posted a few weeks ago, this old photo is striking for so many reasons: my grandmother's severe black dress and long black gloves, my grandfather's spiffy suit and incredibly coiffed hair, and how unhappy they both look.

Don't you wish that these photos could come alive, like the posters and newspapers in Harry Potter, and you could see them moving and hear them talking after the photographer was finished with his portrait?

UPDATE: Fred was born on February 19, 1913, so this would date this photo to just a few months after that. My grandmother's father was a prominent tailor in Lautenberg (Lauterburg?), Germany, which may explain not only my grandmother's amazing outfit but how well-dressed my grandfather is.

No comments:

Post a Comment